Breaking it down from our perspective...

In 2018 Lowrance introduced the HDS Carbon. In the eyes of the consumer there just wasn't much difference in it over the HDS Gen3 to justify dropping the HDS Gen3 and getting the HDS Carbon. Lowrance had a slow year in sales on the Carbon model.
Most may or may not know but Lowrance and Garmin went through a battle in court. Garmin was allowed to introduce Panoptix and now Panoptix LiveScope. This is actually technology produced by Lowrance and now introduced to the marketplace by Garmin.
You may have seen Lowrance recently introducing the new HDS LIVE as well as LiveSight. If you pay close attention to the area I have outlined in red (below images) you will notice on the menu screen LiveSight with images showing forward and downward views. So yes, Lowrance will have the same technology coming to the marketplace in Spring 2019.
Humminbird has in a nutshell done the same thing that Lowrance did in 2018. Humminbird discontinued the G2N and introduced the G3N for 2019. Just like Lowrance no real changes from the HDS3 to the HDS Carbon to drive me to drop the G2N and race out and get the G3N. Humminbird has not produced anything to the marketplace at this time to compete in the LiveScope or LiveSight technology. Humminbird will have a slow year in sales for 2019 as Lowrance had in 2018.

With that being said, here are my :2cents: Spend them wisely...
For the Humminbird fan: hold tight to your G2N unless it is absolutely time for an upgrade or if you are still in the numbered series such as the 800, 900 and 1100 then it is justifiable to go into the G3N series. Truly not much difference to run out and upgrade at this time.
For the Lowrance fan: if you are fine with your HDS Gen3 (great unit) then simply purchase the Garmin Panoptix LiveScope w/compatible display and save some buck. If you are below the HDS Gen3 then it would be justifiable to go into the HDS LIVE series with LiveSight. The current Carbon series will be compatible with the LiveSight upon a software update coming out soon as well as the LiveSight Transducer. Possibly a LiveSight module will be required for the Carbon series but that has yet to be determined at this time. The HDS LIVE will accept the LiveSight direct w/out a module. LiveSight is not compatible with the HDS Gen3.
For the Garmin fan: Garmin has come along way in the marine electronics field. They offer units with a CV52 clearvu downvu transducer for the 455kHz and 800kHz. You can add the HD module with the GT52 transducer and achieve the 1.25Mhz teamed up with the Panoptix LiveScope or you can simply purchase a compatible Garmin display such as the echoMap Chirp Plus 93sv (9") w/out transducer teamed up with the LiveScope.

full-46975-236806-livesightuntitled.jpg

full-46975-236807-livesite2untitled.jpg

See video here. Not much info about the LiveSight to read about, however, if you pay close attention to the video Lowrance is giving us the full perspective of there LiveSight. Watch the part when it shows LiveSight Down view, it will be in real time real image. Pay attention to when they show LiveSight forward view, it will be in real time 2D sonar as what Garmin 1st Panoptix release was.
https://youtu.be/UZh3FX2B2xo

full-46975-236812-livesightdownuntitled.jpg

full-46975-236813-livesightforwarduntitled.jpg

Here is a short video of us getting a crappie to smack our jig with the Garmin LiveScope...

https://youtu.be/wQFnUVxPf0c

On my boat, I have a Humminbird Solix 12 Chirp Mega SI 1st generation at the console and a Helix 12 Chirp Mega SI G2N along with a Garmin echoMap Chirp Plus 93sv teamed up with the Garmin Panoptix LiveScope.

full-46975-236954-thumbnail_file_67.jpg