which rig do you prefer and why

alicia ayers

just wondering if you guys prefer a shaky head rig, ned rig, neiko rig or mo jo rig and why ? I usually throw shaky head , can drag along very slow , if I think its too slow this time of year , Ill slow down even more lol, and I throw the mo jo rig because it doesn't get hung very much and will go thru vegetation , Haven't thrown the ned or neiko rig much , that's why I'd like your opinion and thanks

In this day and age where flash and color and glitz are the rage for new baits the Ned Rig continues to out-perform many of them. A do-nothing worm on a lead head. Whooda thunk it? Ned rig is fast replacing shakyhead in my arsenal, esp in cold wx and tuff bite conditions.

porthos33

I'm a shakey head guy. It works great and I haven't had the urge to change. I haven't thrown any of them all winter b/c i've just been throwing a jig mainly and reaction baits.

I throw the shakey the most, the neko second, the ned rig third, I normally only throw a traditional mojo rig in the spring when the water is too dirty to actually see a bed. For getting bites around things like docks and lay downs and even the occasional stump it just amazes me how many bites I get on the neko rig. A couple of years ago at Chick in September in a club tournament I caught over 20 around docks on it, the only drawback was none of them were keepers. Lots of healthy fish, probably threw back a 10 pound limit a couple of times of non-keepers. Have also started fishing it more around deep structure for spotted bass, and while you do not get the numbers of bites that way, when you do get one it is normally a good fish. I fish Allatoona a bunch, Weiss a good bit and only fish Chick a few times a year, so they all come into play for me. I have caught more and bigger fish on the shakeyhead at Chick, but of late I have caught more and better fish on the neko other places. I still have not caught much on the ned rig, but I am pretty sure I am not fishing it slow enough. I have not had the 30 + fish days on that rig yet like I hear others talk about. But the ned rig is nothing new, the stick worm part is kinda new, but that idea has been around for years. When I was a kid ( and I am well into my 40's now) I would take a 1/8 oz jighead with a longer hook and put a Mann's 8 inch jelly worm on it and throw it at Weiss out in deeper water and just let it sink and drag it slowly and catch some really good fish on it. It all comes down to having the confidence in it to actually try all the things you need to to get bit. I have confidence in a shakey head and the neko, so I go to them first before other things.

alicia ayers

Thank you for your replies , all very helpful and like you say, whatever you have confidence in is what matters , and yep, taterbaby58 , I love the mojo rig. It is awesome and catches fish and good ones at that , I still throw my carolina rig year round too with a black lizard , I forgot to mention that above , but it is awesome ! That is definitely one of my go to baits . I've really caught some good fish with it . I will have to try the ned rig some more , and the neko . Will post any good luck I have with them, but will be a while, when the water comes back up and I have some water to fish, no boat, so have to depend on a ride . Tight lines to all

The Carolina rig is my # 1 choice of rigs I love throwing it more than anything I never rd tried a black lizard most of time I throw a brush hog. Caught a lot of fish on it. It's good chatting with you. I under stand you are one good fishing ladie