Alternative to Cable TV

Rob Lee

The cost for my cable and internet exceeds the cost to heat and cool my home. Whole bunch of channels...but not many worth viewing. I know there are many alternatives out there but I do not fully understand how they work. Any suggestions for an old guy who struggles with technological advancements? Thanks.

Below is my setup and I am able to watch live sporting events, movies, and the latest shows for just the cost of internet*.
- TV antenna for watching local TV stations.
- Amazon Fire Stick (if you have Amazon Prime) to stream movies and TV shows.
- Purchase a Google Chrome Cast to stream TV Shows, movies, YouTube fishing videos, etc from your smart phone.
- Netflix

*I live in the city so I get EPB internet, which is fast enough to support streaming videos, and I am also close enough to the broadcast stations to pick up a strong signal with my antenna. I have a smart phone from which I can stream YouTube and various other cable network apps. And lastly, I have someone who allows me to leverage their cable log-in credentials (gives me the opportunity to stream live TV and also access other special shows/movies).

Hope this helps!

FishingwithRusty

digital antenna to get local networks

internet svc and a "jail broke"(search youtube for instructions how to do this) firestick(start with slow speed and increase as needed to stream the stuff you want). watch anything you want

Rob Lee

Great information...I will definitely research your suggestions and can hopefully set-up/install. I sincerely appreciate your time, thank you.

Rob Lee

FishingwithRusty - 1/18/2019 4:01 PM

digital antenna to get local networks

internet svc and a "jail broke"(search youtube for instructions how to do this) firestick(start with slow speed and increase as needed to stream the stuff you want). watch anything you want

is the digital antenna mentioned above internal or external? I live in Ooltewah (Collegedale). Thank you.

Oldman

pull up corky tv.i have a tv box from him and i can get about any channel out there.i can get ppv and movies while they are still in on at the movies.one time investment.life time warranty.

Oldman

but you still have to have a good internet service,

FishingwithRusty

The antenna is external

lafae7

YouTube, amazon fire stick, Netflix, amazon prime, tubi etc.etc... I canceled my cable/satellite a long time ago. Too many commercials.

Will9246

YouTube tv is great for $39.00 a month if you have TVs capable of downloading the app to your tv. You get over 50 channels with all the local channels. Canceled EPB and saved $100 a month

Rob Lee

thanks guys...really good info. Just wondering...can you combine (for lack of better words) say YouTube, Firestick, Amazon Prime. Or are you restricted. This is all new to me, but I have to do something. Spending entirely too much money. Thanks again.

Fshn Cpa

Can also try a ROKU streaming stick. you need a wireless network in your home to connect any of these devices. the ROKU connects your TV to the internet through your wireless network. I use a netgear AC2400 wireless router. You can then pick the streaming channels you want to use. Some of them charge and some are free. I have been using play station vue since I read it was rated best for sports. I have been having difficulty trying to get an antenna to work on my TV. It can't seem to find the channels.

VolsFan24

I use YouTube TV and stream it using a ROKU stick. I just bought a 32” TV with built in ROKU for $130 a couple days ago. My mother in law has Netflix so I use hers and my brother has Hulu and MLB at bat and I use his. So basically i get to watch everything I want and more and its all controlled on the tv with 1 super simple remote that doesn’t even have numbers on it. Saving over $100 a month. If I also payed for Hulu, Netflix, and MLB i think I would still be cheaper than the DirecTv I was paying before. And I have the YouTube TV app and I can watch TV anywhere. I’ll have a game on and listen to it through headphones when I’m out and about.

Rob Lee - 1/19/2019 5:04 PM

thanks guys...really good info. Just wondering...can you combine (for lack of better words) say YouTube, Firestick, Amazon Prime. Or are you restricted. This is all new to me, but I have to do something. Spending entirely too much money. Thanks again.

Yes, you can combine/stack all of these options, each one is an individual offering.

The Firestick is what allows you the ability to watch free movies and TV shows that are available to Amazon Prime members. This device plugs into you TV through an HDMI port (most likely how your cable box is currently hooked up to your tv). The Firestick also allows you the option to download apps (like your smartphone does) to stream other options mentioned, like YouTube, Netflix, etc.

porthos33

VolsFan24 - 1/20/2019 10:19 AM I use YouTube TV and stream it using a ROKU stick. I just bought a 32” TV with built in ROKU for $130 a couple days ago. My mother in law has Netflix so I use hers and my brother has Hulu and MLB at bat and I use his. So basically i get to watch everything I want and more and its all controlled on the tv with 1 super simple remote that doesn’t even have numbers on it. Saving over $100 a month. If I also payed for Hulu, Netflix, and MLB i think I would still be cheaper than the DirecTv I was paying before. And I have the YouTube TV app and I can watch TV anywhere. I’ll have a game on and listen to it through headphones when I’m out and about.
We were doing that with hulu also but it looks like they have caught on and won't let us anymore.

digitalcb

Two things:</p>

1. From your phone you can stream Netflix, YouTube, Prime etc your tv using chromecast. Many tv's have chromecast built in, if not adapter is $35.
</p>

2. I connect my laptop to a 55" tv and use a wireless keyboard from the couch.
</p>

FishingwithRusty

The best alternative..........Go fishing:)

digitalcb

Oldman - 1/18/2019 4:48 PM but you still have to have a good internet service,
</p>

You can cast from your phone for free.
</p>

your provider probably some data use limits
</p>

Rob Lee

FishingwithRusty - 1/20/2019 7:25 PM

The best alternative..........Go fishing:)

I like the way you think...however, the wife don't fish. good night and or morning to seine some creek minnows....

Oldman I did some looking into the corky tv box you mentioned. Are you able to get any of the fishing shows or outdoor channel with it. thanks for any info. Chuck.