Need advise?

newkids

This will be my fourth spring fishing the chick. Usually stay on the upper end of the lake from possum creek to hiwassee island. Got nice little 16 ft aluminum boat but no depth finder. Will this help my fishing? What brand/ model should I try? Thanks gentlemen.

Gator

I have the Helix 10 with the Lakemaster chip and love it.

Aries 181

It will help knowing how deep you are and seeing fish on the screen. HB Helix series is what You should choose.

Bill

lafae7

Garmin makes some great cheaper units. I know they got some 4” units with with great navigation and sonar. I’m saying this would be great because they are smaller but still have the same great satellite coverage and their transducers usually mount great through hull, because you don’t want anything hanging off the aluminum boat.

+1 on the HB line of sonars. You can get a great deal on older models, all of which have a ton of capability. Believe you are handicapping yourself without some sort of sonar/GPS unit. You need to be able to see how and where fish are relating to structure and cover. The GPS/map function will keep you clear of hazards, shallows (a must for any river system, but esp one as dynamic as the TN River).

Aries 181

lafae7 - 1/19/2019 8:34 AM

Garmin makes some great cheaper units. I know they got some 4” units with with great navigation and sonar. I’m saying this would be great because they are smaller but still have the same great satellite coverage and their transducers usually mount great through hull, because you don’t want anything hanging off the aluminum boat.
Unless something has changed, transducers won't shoot through aluminum hulls.

Bill

lafae7

Yes they do. The future is now old man.

Aries 181 - 1/19/2019 8:30 AM

lafae7 - 1/19/2019 8:34 AM

Unless something has changed, transducers won't shoot through aluminum hulls.

Bill

richg99

Yep, FF now can shoot through aluminum, but they have to be mounted right. Remember, though, side scan doesn't work when you mount the t'ducer inside of the hull, Temperature isn't quite as accurate either.

Aries 181

lafae7 - 1/19/2019 11:22 AM
Yes they do. The future is now old man.
It looks like this young fool can't comprehend what "unless something has changed" means. Then again, above average intelligence has never been his strong suit.

Bill