Chickamauga Spawn

JoeFD

Hi All,

Im fairly new to Tennessee and new to this lake, have not fished it much, and when i did it was summer and didnt have much success. Was wondering, about when do they start to spawn on this lake? Are you able to find them on beds in the shallows or is the water too dirty? Any advise would be helpful!

Jmax

The Chick is a weird lake when it comes to the spawn. Never have understood it. Just down the road not too far at the G they start in March. At the Chick you will be hard pressed to find one until April. If you have a fairly warm April the bulk will spawn then but there will also be another wave in May and another in June. Depending on the rain and what area of the lake you are in you may or may not be able to see them. When the spawn is in full swing in April there have been many a tournament won sight fishing on this lake. Many of us hate it because you are killing thousands of potential bass when jerking spawners off beds with eggs by taking them to a weigh in. :( Jmax

fishnboy

I would have to say the fla bass strand they released many years ago has like Jamx said very weird and I think noe those fla bass need warmer water temps which we don’t see till mid April-May

porthos33

Whats crazy is when they were testing all the big fish caught from chick a while back, not one of them was a full Fl strain. They were all F1/F2 Hybrids. I know guys that have found them in march, but not me. I stay all over that pre spawn bite as long as it goes. I'd say the week around that full moon in april will give you a good opportunity. When I get them off bed I won't run around with them, I just snap a quick pic and send her back to do her thing. I find them more when the water starts to come up after april 1st. Just catch a guide trip with Billy. He knows of over 300 beds!!