Vacation to Chick

Johnnybasssss

My two buddies and I are coming down to fish chick for 7 days from March 22-29th. Going to be the first time down there for all of us since we are from Connecticut. We are staying in the southern end of the lake but I’m sure we will fish the northern part of the lake a day or 2. Not looking for any spots but just some basic info on how it fishes at the end of March usually. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Most likely be a shallow bite and potential spawn at the end of March but there will probably be 2 million boats on the lake during that week (oh yeah thats every day)...

churly

Probably gonna be flood conditions. Spillways have been open since thanksgiving and we have gotten almost 8" this week. Might want to consider guntersville

Saw that you're staying at the southern end of the lake. We stayed in Dayton during our first trip to the Chick. I've fished ~all over the country and have not visited a town as fisherman-friendly as Dayton . . . ever. Great people, superb facilities. If your plans change or if you have an opportunity to make a return trip keep Dayton in mind.

FishingwithRusty

fish shallow and look for grass

ezebassn

Fish will be transitioning from river to creeks. Bite will be on the channel at mouths of creeks on rigs. The rest of the fish will be shallow, use rattle traps. I would try shallow if it has been warm the past week but if it gets cold then try river channel. Last year at the end of March I was catching them on the rig, numbers and big fish. Just a few weeks prior we had rain and warm weather and fish were shallow on traps. Fish are shallow now due to flooding but if it stops raining and gets cold then they will pull back out on channel. I'm sure others will feel differently but that was basically all March last year for me.

Always some great tips on this site! Thanks to all who provide them. Hopefully our area dries out some after this week. Just been nuts the amount of water that's flowed thru the Chick this year. I will say prepare yourself to be patient with the crowds. I've been a weekend warrior on the chick for a couple of years now and the boat traffic was the biggest adjustment for me.

Johnnybasssss

We probably will end up fishing guntersville for at least one day. Anyone have any specific colors of traps they really like throwing?