99 mercury 225 efi question

canoe fisherman

Looking at buying a new to me boat, it has a 99 mercury 225 efi, my question is so I spend the money to have the fuel pump and drive gear replaced or do I have it deleted and mix my gas and oil manually. Talked to a dealer today and was informed it is a pricey replacement due to the part that usually goes bad is the drive gear. He recommended deleting and mixing manually. He said he could do it while he is replacing the water pump impeller.

cmiller

I was told when buying my new to me boat that it is best to mix manually. If the pump stops working and you don’t catch it in time you will be searching for another motor. Mine was removed before I bought it by previous owner.

M GO BLUE

Get rid of the oil injection. Easy to do and peace of mind that you won't have to worry about it. Those are a bit thirsty and smokey, but GREAT ENGINES. Miss mine.

Is the injection/gear already known to be bad??

roll tide

Have the motor checked out to make sure that the gear gone bad didn't already cause any issues . Like everyone else said, get rid of the oil injection asap.

VolsFan24

I have a 98 225 Efi and I had a 00 150 Efi before. Both have/had the oil injector and never a problem. I prefer it that way. Motor before 89 gt150 had to mix oil in my gas. Not a fan of keeping track how much gas I pumped and how much oil to add. Now I just add oil until full, and add gas until full. My oil line did clog up and my alarm sounded and no problems. Took to shop and had line replaced. Problem solved. I've had a bunch of people tell me to delete it and pre mix in my gas. So if your choices are either buy and pre mix or buy and fix, I would just pre mix and be happy.

hoop235

X2 on getting rid of it. On those particular motors, oil injection was a weak link. They would frequently fail with little to no warning causing major damage to the engine.
It's just not worth the chance IMO. Mix it 50 to 1 and never look back.

Strato-G

Mix ur oil...1 quart to 12 gallon...knowing is not worry.....be safe not sorry....jmo................. emoGeezer emoUSA