Why Do you fish tournaments or why do you not?

clinchmtnboy

Why do you fish tournaments or why do you not? Is it the money or the excitement or the recognition or the challenge?

churly

I fish CBAs once a month so I can have one weekend to myself. Between work, kids, and home ownership I hardly get to go. That one weekend a month, I’ve got my excuse. I don’t even get to practice anymore, but for one Saturday a month, I get to let it go and only worry about catching 5 by 4.

Fshn Cpa

Enjoy the challenge, meet a lot of really good people, spend a lot more time on the water than if not doing tournaments, learning some new things, enjoying God's creation

For me, it's all about the challenge. I could care less about the prices or recognition. The ultimate is going to a new lake or river and being able to piece something together. Having been an athlete my entire life it's kinda cool having something that gets the competitive juices flowing again now that I'm safely middle aged (plus).

CATCHMAN

For me it's all about the competition - against people and the fish. I was a college athlete and the blood gets pumping when there is a hand to be raised.

Thomn8r

I stopped tx nearly 50 years ago.It wasn’t fun to “fish at any cost”. I competed for a living 40 hours a week and that was plenty for me. I observed Tournament fishermen often were rude and ill mannered,acting like the ramps and lake was theirs alone. Recreational fishermen were treated like they had “no right” to be there. Family responsibility came afterwards. Costs were small compared to today, but I think the priority was right for me. I’d like to think some small measure of a better life was available to my family as a result. Admittedly , tournaments have led to significant improvement in all aspects of fishing and that can be argued good and bad. Anyway, retirement allows me the pleasure of fishing during the week nearly void of other boats and really enjoying God’s bounty. So-have at it boys! To each his own emoGeezer

finbully

I used to fish tournaments in So Cal and Mexico. I don't like hauling fish off of beds or any other place from where they are caught. If there were weigh, release at the same spot where caught, I might consider that sort of tournament. Delayed mortality is very understated. If I put a fish in a live well it is either to use as bait or for my grill.

Thomn8r - 4/2/2019 10:57 AM

I stopped tx nearly 50 years ago.It wasn’t fun to “fish at any cost”. I competed for a living 40 hours a week and that was plenty for me. I observed Tournament fishermen often were rude and ill mannered,acting like the ramps and lake was theirs alone. Recreational fishermen were treated like they had “no right” to be there. Family responsibility came afterwards. Costs were small compared to today, but I think the priority was right for me. I’d like to think some small measure of a better life was available to my family as a result. Admittedly , tournaments have led to significant improvement in all aspects of fishing and that can be argued good and bad. Anyway, retirement allows me the pleasure of fishing during the week nearly void of other boats and really enjoying God’s bounty. So-have at it boys! To each his own emoGeezer

Not much for tournaments either for several of the reasons you mentioned. Used to fish small club tourneys in South Fl many yrs ago when I worked down there. I'm still a weekend warrior though which is very tough on the Chick though. Retirement is coming but I have a few more yrs yet. A little jealous of those who can get out without the channel looking like I75 emoSmile

ChooChooSnakeMan

Interesting thread. As many of you know I have fished CFF tournaments for a number of years with Polo some and mostly with Jmax. We had fun and I have many, many great memories. I think the way the CFF runs events is the way to go in my opinion. The emphasis is on fellowship / friendships, sharing, good friendly competition, and not focused on the money part of it. When Jmax left I've only fished one other CFF event and honestly it's because of my job I can't get out and scout to know what the fish are doing which is what Jim was very good at. I now find myself wanting to keep my fishing low key and I'm a competitive person by nature so if I fish a tournament I beat myself up if I don't do well. Also I like not being on a schedule. I go to the lake when I go and I stop fishing when I stop. The Chick is too crowded on weekends, it just is. You can't execute a plan because every place you plan to fish there will be several boats already on them. I will most likely fish some CFF events in the future, especially if I can get a son-in-law interested or eventually a grand son but even then I think it will be more to stay in touch with the gang. I have to make a decision to turn off the competitive aspect of it or it decreases my fun.

hoop235

I don't fish very many tournaments anymore, fishing my first CFF this weekend, but for me it's the excitement. I know I don't have a chance to win unless I'm like the proverbial "Hog finding an acorn" because I don't have the time to scout and practice (haven't even been on the lake this year) like a lot of folks do but the anticipation, planning and then trying to execute is what draws me to it even if I am just donating my money. Many years ago I use to fish non stop with the local bass club and at some point it just turned into a job trying to practice fish and then fish the tournament regardless of the conditions. Last year I fished a couple of the CFF events and had a really good time as the people were really friendly and I can pick and choose the events I want to fish without feeling the pressure to "Win at all cost". So for me being able to get out a few times a year and enjoy the lake, the people you meet and to compete a little bit is what makes it fun & exciting!

Kirk

I stopped fishing tournaments this past year. Prior to this, I ran a bunch of dogfight and full day tournaments over the past 20 years.

I just got to the point I dreaded tournaments. Too much work at weigh-ins and far too much time spent organizing them. I was completely burned out. Didn't enjoy them at all the past 2 years. The constant complaining, phone calls, emails, smart ass posts on Facebook............I just hit a point that I said "screw it" and moved on to more enjoyable things.

hoop235 - 4/2/2019 1:42 PM

I don't fish very many tournaments anymore, fishing my first CFF this weekend, but for me it's the excitement. I know I don't have a chance to win unless I'm like the proverbial "Hog finding an acorn" because I don't have the time to scout and practice (haven't even been on the lake this year) like a lot of folks do but the anticipation, planning and then trying to execute is what draws me to it even if I am just donating my money. Many years ago I use to fish non stop with the local bass club and at some point it just turned into a job trying to practice fish and then fish the tournament regardless of the conditions. Last year I fished a couple of the CFF events and had a really good time as the people were really friendly and I can pick and choose the events I want to fish without feeling the pressure to "Win at all cost". So for me being able to get out a few times a year and enjoy the lake, the people you meet and to compete a little bit is what makes it fun & exciting!

Nice post and exactly the way I'll start fishing some tourneys if I do. Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the harder it is to find good fishing partners? emoCool

Thomn8r

Yeah-my partner of 45 years had back surgery 3 years ago and he “endured” until 2017 when it became too chancey to be moving around in the boat. After years of 30+ trips a year together2018 saw only 4 trips by myself. I miss the fishing,sure, but I miss being emotionally abusive ( we had the most fun picking at each other seems like). There’s a lot of good fishermen,but don’t know anyone with the same ability or willingness to put up with me or vice versa. By the way, we never had a really cross word with each other. Very fortunate to be able to call him friend. emoSmile

Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the harder it is to find good fishing partners? </p>

It's been that way for years where I live and fish. Those that I have fished with didn't last long seeing as how many times they became less available.</p>

FishingwithRusty

the challenge of figuring out the fish and trying to adapt to the day and conditions under the pressure of that ticking clock...............LOVE IT!!! but its brutal and humbling.

rsimms

I discovered decades ago that I'm not cut out for tournament fishing. Thought I was on fish one tournament... but my fish weren't there. I panicked, fished too fast, ran hither and yon like a chicken with its head cut off and just generally lost my cool. It was a MISERABLE day and I decided this isn't for me. Just too much pressure.

Which is really weird because now I am a fishing guide. Trust me, there's plenty of pressure there. But (A) I'm getting paid rather than me paying someone else, and (B) I focus on fish I know I can catch. If there is ever a time I'm not comfortable putting people on fish (which honestly is rare), I give them their money back or suggest another date. I'm not (just) in it for the money. I want people to have fun or I don't want to take them. I am EXTREMELY proud of a perfect <a href=https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g54946-d6407996-Reviews-Scenic_City_Fishing_Charters_Inc-Chattanooga_Tennessee.html>5-Star Rating on TripAdvisor</a> with 120 Reviews. Scenic City Fishing is rated as the #1 Boat Tour company in Chattanooga. So y'all enjoy your tournaments. I've found my niche. emoBigsmile

Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the harder it is to find good fishing partners? </p>

It's been that way for years where I live and fish. Those that I have fished with didn't last long seeing as how many times they became less available only to find them fishing spots we caught fish from with another partner, in another boat. Tournaments for the beginner is a great way to be exposed to different lures and presentations and where to use them. Dud anglers that I could learn nothing from that mostly wanted to get away from the wife or chores accounted for 1/3 and when fishing from their boat by luck of the draw, was a wasted day off from work.</p>

What got to me was the politics that made tourney angling less fun because it's difficult not to take sides choosing between those that are more competitive with those that just want to experience a day on the water regardless of standings. My first B.A.S.S. club was pretty much destroyed by the division and bad feelings - not something I wanted to associated with my fishing obsession. </p>

I'm sure many fishing clubs in Tn. are fun and competitive along with good camaraderie before and after tournaments. Of course tourney fishing can be a big expense even locally and those can't afford it don't last long. Raising three kids on one income did put pressure on the pocketbook and I was lucky members understood (though some did not and treated me like a second class angler).</p>

A nice way to become a much better angler though costly, but not at the expense of family and peace of mind.
</p>

</p>

<font size="3">I'm not (just) in it for the money. I want people </font><font size="3">(including myself)</font><font size="3"> to have fun or I don't want to take them.</font></p>

<font size="3">Me too.</font></p>

</p>

<font size="3">If it's not fun why do it? !</font>
</p>