WTB Water tank!

ChooChooSnakeMan

Ok, this is fishing related. I need to find a reasonably priced used water tank so I can run my SHO outboard in the yard. The Yamaha muffs for the sho engines are expensive and I've read many reports that they don't work very well. The trouble with muffs even when they do work is that because the water is pressurized you can't really tell if your water pump is working or not. Anyway if anyone has a used but good condition water tank that measures say 3' long by 2' wide by 2' deep or something close for sale let me know. Something like a livestock watering trough. I can purchase a new Rubbermaid 100 gallon tank for around $85 but since I'll only use it a couple of times a year to test outboards I don't want to have that much $$ in it if I can help it. Any suggestions are welcome.

SNUFFY

I use and old Rubbermaid trash can about 20x16 x30 in deep. You have to move it a little as you trim motor down into it but just wait till its where you want it before you fill it up with water. it works good even if you engage the prop...probably gonna get wet if you rev it up too much though LOL!

ChooChooSnakeMan

SNUFFY - 4/3/2019 12:11 AM

I use and old Rubbermaid trash can about 20x16 x30 in deep. You have to move it a little as you trim motor down into it but just wait till its where you want it before you fill it up with water. it works good even if you engage the prop...probably gonna get wet if you rev it up too much though LOL!

My engine is the Yamaha SHO and evidently the lower unit on those engines is long. I thought what you suggested would work so I got a Rubbermaid Brute 32 gallon trash can which is about 25" in diameter. Even with the prop off the lower unit the foot won't fit in the 25". I need something rectangular or oblong that is at least 30" long and 18" to 24" wide. I think 24" deep would be perfect and get the water level over the cavitation plate which you must do since the water pumps are not self priming. This is one of those things that is proving to be way harder than I thought it would. I figured there would be a bunch of old livestock tanks and such for sale on ebay but not really and most are way bigger than I need. I've even thought of making a wooden box out of 2 x 4s and plywood sheet. It isn't a big deal if it leaks a little and I'm only going to use it a couple of times a year at most. If anyone has something laying around they want to sell or if they have a tank I could borrow or rent for a weekend please let me know.

digitalcb

A 250 gallon Tote with a 2 x 6 for a transom? Store on 41 at Cherokee Valley had some some with pretty stout looking cages $40 & up.

ChooChooSnakeMan

Thanks for the two great suggestions. I never really thought of an inflatible kids pool but that just might do it and my grand kids can play in it provided running the outboard in it for a few minutes don't mess it up. Also the tip about the store at 41 and Cherokee Valley is appreciated very much. Once again the CFF is a valuable source of help!

Pop-R

I found an old looks like 55 gallon plastic drum that was previously used under a floating dock before they made the black dock floats. I cut the top off of it and use that. Of course it doesn't drain so when I am done I just raise the motor tipping it over and dumping it where I fill it. You can find them on craigslist for $20 just search plastic drum

ChooChooSnakeMan

niteowl - 4/4/2019 6:53 PM

I have a 55 gallon metal drum, you can have if you think it will work.

I really appreciate the offer! If it is a normal 55 gal drum they are about 24" in diameter. MY 250 sho won't fit in that size, even with the prop taken off. The lower unit is really long. It would take about 30" to clear. If you have time and can measure your drum - if it is 30" diameter or bigger then I'll take it and thanks again.