Thinking about a kayak

DennyB

I'm 65 years old and have never put a foot in a kayak. I wade fish streams and rivers in middle and east Tn but I'm looking for a way to fish those parts of the rivers that are too deep for me to wade. I'm really thinking of a pedal kayak to keep my hands free to fish.

The kayaks I've researched on-line that interest me are the Coosa FD, Cruise FD, Old Town Topwater w/pedal drive, and Titan 10.5. If anyone has any insight on any of these or any other brand or model for my intended purpose, I would welcome some recommendations.

kennethlee

Check out the hobie pro angler in 12 or 14 foot models. I got to demo one in Atlanta a few years ago and it was very stable. I would have bought one but it was a little out of my price range.

bullshot

Pedal kayaks aren't really design for river use. Pedals hang down and get hit going through the shoals. Also the hull shape that makes pedaling efficient, is different shape than what river kayaks need to be. For some the drive system are in the way of where they like to stand and/or rest rods, for others it is a non-issue. Demo is the key, try many different pedal and traditional kayaks before you buy. Myself, I prefer anelevated seat (like a Jackson) for 100% of river and reservoir fishing.

ezebassn

My dad is 72 and started kayaking with me last year. He absolutely loves it. We used the cheap tamaracks from Wal-Mart last year but upgraded this year to 12 feet kayaks. The tamaracks are awesome for the money for first timers.

G

Correct on peddle drives on creeks. I am 66 and 6'2" and 290 lb. take into big consideration looking at a kayak that fits you. I fish out of a Jackson Big Rig and it is very stable with me. I fish the Hiwassee, Ocoee and Conasauga mostly. Jackson came out with a new boat this year called the Bite. It is medium priced, $799 retail I think, and looks like a very stable boat. Also a huge item you want to have is a really good comfortable seat. Again, Jackson is top of the line for this, I have fished up to 6 hours and was still not totally worn out.

dlsmith6

I have a 12' old town that you sit inside and it is a great boat for the price but after about 4 hours back and butt start to hurt. If I were going to buy another one I would get at least a 12 foot boat and it would be one that has a chair on top. I have a 9 footer and a 12 footer if you would like to try them let me know and I will take you out. got the 12 footer at Cabela's for about 600 which is pretty good deal.

AT Hiker

Like you guys, I am also looking at purchasing a kayak. I'm interested in the Hobie Mirage Qutback or Compass. One issue that I am concerned about is weight. The Outback is around 85 lbs and the Compass is close to 65 lbs (not rigged). I really liked the Jackson Coosa PD, but it is close to 100 lbs (not rigged). I need to be able to load it on a ladder rack on my truck. I guess wheels are used to transport from truck to launch?

ezebassn

I ordered a cheap hitch extension for my receiver hitch, works great. $55 on eBay and a sot pro angler from Walmart known as a boss 12ss in the past, nice rig. Awesome seat and you can stand in it $500

DennyB

I don't see why a pedal drive couldn't be used as a paddle kayak if you took the drive out. I realize the hull is designed for pedaling, but wouldn't it be passable for paddling? That way I might be able to have 2 kayaks in one. I wouldn't be in a bunch of shallow water (less than 2 feet) anyway. Thanks for all the input.

G

Look at the new Jackson Bite. It was made for fishing and is very stable for a great price. $799 retail...