Fishing around Dayton

Think my buddies and I are going to check out something other than the HBSP area I normally fish and head up that way this weekend. Have put in once before at Grasshopper Creek. Are there any special regulations about the Hiawassee wildlife refuge this time of year if we find ourselves up that far? Thank you.

VolsFan24

Gonna be a HUGE tournament out of Dayton Friday and Saturday. Battle on the Chick and they are combining it with the NWGHSAA high school tournament. Gonna be a mad house. I would pick a different weekend to venture that way. I am a high school captain this weekend and I can’t imagine the amount of boats that will be there Saturday. 300? More? This will be my 2nd time up that way. Like you I fish out of HBSP.

Thank you very much for the info and hope your guys do great in the tourney. With that said, I'll probably get as far away from the chick as I can LOL. Will probably head over to Chatuge and catch some spots.

VolsFan24

You can always sign up and fish Battle on the Chick! Looks like a pretty sweet deal with a lot of prizes and payout. And I’ve never been, but I heard there will be a bunch of vendors and food.

VolsFan24

Or Watts Bar. A little further drive, a little different structure, and more smallies (from my 1 experience). Went last weekend for the first time and caught a few keeper smallies and one of the high school anglers on my boat lost a 4-5lbs largemouth. With HBSP 20 min from my house, thats where I have fished 99% of the time the past 5 years. (I’ve gone to Goosepond twice, Dayton once, Norris a few times, Nickajack twice and Guntersville twice) Since I captained a couple high school tournaments this year and went to Watts Bar and Nickajack, those 2 lakes are pretty dang sweet too. I feel they all can be fished similarly but they all have their big differences. All have quality fish. And all close enough for an easy day trip. You also have Guntersville, but I’m talking about less traffic lakes. You can even drive a little more north and check out Douglas, Cherokee, Norris. A LOT of good fishing around. I am definitely going to be exploring around a little more just to change up the scenery from tome to time.

luckily for me, Hayesville NC is my home town and I have a buddy with a cabin over there close to Chatuge. It's a spot heavy lake for sure but is as beautiful a lake as you can have. Takes me about 2 hrs from Ooltewah. I haven't fished Watts Bar yet. Been to Parksville once and other than the ramp being extremely narrow, its a pretty lake with some nice spots in it too. Looks like great weather for the weekend and hope you guys do great in the tourney.