Family Post

JoeFD

I wanted to share with you the post i just placed in our internal system at work... It means a lot to me...Me father and uncle taught me to hunt and fish, and that has become a way of life for me...I'm new on this lake and ask for advice here and there from y'all...but he is my rock and inspiration...and frustration on the lake when I can catch five and he can catch ten, that has been the story of my life...I recall one time he literally told me where to throw, i missed, he threw, hit it, and landed a 30lb salmon in NY... I'm sure a bunch of you know what I mean. I can kill a deer and he can kill a bigger one..he is fraction of an inch from my biggest, but just enough to be bigger, family record...He always has that way. His personality is hard. He can be rough, but every lesson comes from more experience than most could ever have, and I'm smart enough to recognize that. He made me who I am. One of the things I always admired but never said is how he is willing to give back...to his family...to his friends..to anyone he knows who needs its...Recently my uncle fell from a tree strand and was paralyzed. Next, we were pulled from a hunting trip in Montana because my uncle had a stroke. My father has spared no expense to take care of him...My uncle was my best friend beside my father...All those years of hunting and fishing together....My uncle making me climb trees to retrieve his arrows that he claimed were a bow malfunction...(I won't say what he shot, he should have shot a mathews....sorry guys!) Getting off track here...My father has helped anyone in need. When my uncles boat came up for sale, the Nitro some of you have seen, they needed to sell for funds to help with his treatments, i stretched myself to buy it, but had to for two reasons...

1: The money paid would help with him and his wife.
2: It was his. I didn't want it going to anyone else. I bought another boat three months prior and its still in my yard. I needed his boat. It was his. Nobody else should have had it.

Where am I going with this?

I had a conversation with my father when we were hunting in Montana last year and he talked about how hunting and fishing in younger generations is dying...I nodded my head and looked for more gophers...But as time went on and I talked more with people I work with, I realized how right he was...Hunting and Fishing are both a dying sport. We cannot let that happen. Kids cannot miss out on those experiences I've had...Landing my first 5Lb bass with my dad there on Okeechobee, and my next personal best (this year) a 7.5 large-mouth in mexico on El Salto, again with him (yeah, he beat me again with an 8+lb). Climbing the tree to pull out my uncles arrow...Calling the turkey together when my uncle shot with his with his bow in Connecticut. The 8 Point buck my dad shot at the fox hole with me that he let me have the rack, it still sits on my shelves in my house.
I can still go back to that day...The exact image...the deer walking in...doe first...he let her walk, the buck followed, the smell of acorn cover scent on my coveralls, his shot with his Jennings Bow (yes, hes a Mathews man now, it was a long time ago!) him teaching me for the first time how to gut that deer...Those are things that cannot be replaced. That experience is still so vivid for me. "feelings things" well....but that covered every feeling that needed to be discussed.

My Uncle and my father are the reason I see what we do needs to continue. When I bought his boat, selfishly, I'm holding onto a lot gear because it was his. But I can only fit so much, it's piled up. Below is the post I placed with my company...Entirely inspired by those two. Kids need these things...Let's keep this going so there is a future to our sport.

Joseph Denis – 5 minutes ago
OK, so....Long time watcher, first time poster.......It's that time! For those of you who know me, you know I'm a die hard hunter and fisherman. I just recently did a bit of "Spring Cleaning" in my boat and wanted to offer this up to the Hutton Folks first before donating...Below is a list of rods an reels available to you...Be forewarned....for each piece, I am charging a steep price.........That price you ask? It's all free.. Free to anyone who will spend an extra day outdoors for a mental health day or take a young one fishing for a day...We are the future of the outdoors and need to instill that in younger generations. Fishing and Hunting is a dying sport with each generation. LET'S BRING IT BACK! All are in working shape, some need a little TLC, and I'm happy to show you how...come over for "reel maintenance day!" (Maybe we can incorporate into celebrate Friday!) If not, I'm pretty good on my smoker..BBQ anyone?) It happens ones per quarter! They will be in my office and you can come take them! Some have deck rash and scars from landing those big bass and salmon throughout the country, but a little TLC will bring them back to new! A little oil and elbow grease and you are back to a $200 dollar reel! These will provide years of excitement for the next generation of our sport! AND YOU CAN'T BEAT THE PRICE! Come take them away!! The dog is not included...she just loves to be in pictures, please excuse her, she's craves attention, i couldn't get her out of the pics! All spinning reels have #25lb Braid Line, spooled this year (ask rob, he nailed four 3lb largemouth on them, on our first time out)...bait casters are naked!

Reels (Bait Casters):

1: Quantum Iron IR400CX

1: Quantum Iron PR600CX

1: Quantum Iron PR600CX

1: Shimano Calcutta 200

1: Shimano Calcutta 200

1: Quantum KVD Signature (5.1:1) really beat up from deck

Reals (Spinning):

1: Quantum Catalyst PTi 30 (Larger frame)

1: Quantum Catalyst PTi 30 (Smaller frame)

1: Quantum Catalyst PTi 40 (Larger frame)

Rods (Spinning):

1: Cabela's Gold Label 6'4" GLS604

1: Cabela's TXS XXII 6'

1: Cabelas Fish Eagle II 6'6" GSII

1: Berkley Lightning Rod 6' Medium

Rods: (Casting)

1: Shakespeare Ugly Stick Pro M Power

1: Shimano Jimmy Houston Signature Series 7'0" MH

1: Cabela's TXS III 6'6" Worm/Jig

1: Cabela's Tourney Trail TTC704-2

1: Cabela's Tourney Trail TTC705-1

Come and get um!

FOR ALL OF YOU HERE ON CFF. LETS JUST KEEP THIS DAMN THING GOING. FOR THE FUN AND MEMORIES THAT CANNOT BE REPLACED. I'VE HAD A LOT OF LIFE CHANGING EVENTS, BUT THE MOST INFLUENTIAL MOMENTS HAVE ALL HAPPENED ON THE LAKE OR IN THE WOODS WITH MY FATHER AND UNCLE.

LET'S NOT LET THIS DIE.

Pop-R

That is awesome, My father passed away when I was young but had taken me out several times. After he died I spent several summers camping with relatives at 58. I remember wearing out the banks all around that camp ground and sneaking on the docks when I could to catch anything I could. When I got my first job I bought a new fishing rod and box. Went with friends anytime. Then life happens I got married had kids. One time my wife's school roommate and her family came for a vacation. Her husband loved to fish so a called a buddy and he took us out. Still sporting that diawa spincast reel I bought with my first paycheck. We had a great day.
The next time I saw him he had a bait caster and a couple of spinning reels and a tackle tray full of stuff. He was like I don't use these anymore after upgrading he passed them along to me. He started inviting me to fish with him when his partner was unable. Then talked me into going as a co-angler to BFL's with them. Now I have my own boat full of everything. And love being out there anytime I can.

Back to your point. Get a young person started or even remind an older one what it is like. Invite people with any interest to go with you and pass along any equipment or baits not being used.
I passed on the stuff he gave me and now some of my own when I get new.
Thanks for the reminder.

Crankinken

rest post and thanks for sharing your story! I appreciate your influence to get others interested in these outdoors sports. I try to raise my boys to appreciate, respect, and enjoy the outdoors as well. Best of luck!