Saltwater lures for Specks/Reds

BenDiesel

Hey gang. My wife, brother, and myself are going to Shell Island Fish Camp in Florida, middle of July. We have rented a boat to fish the flats and bay, was wondering if anyone has some tips on lures for Speckled Trout and Redfish. Not necessarily looking for size, just wanting to have a good time and catch some numbers. I’ve googled, etc but I’d like to hear if anyone has some personal experience/lures that work well. I’ve already picked up some inshore poppers, and was looking at clacker rigs also. What are your go to flats lures?

Thanks in advance!

hoop235

As far as lures go, we used Mir-O-Lures in red & white and gold & red colors for specks. Giztits in white with pink tail, Bass Pro used to sell them, worked real well for both species. Also, you my want to try a white or bubblegum colored flukes. I've caught reds and specks on flukes when other baits seem to slow down. I was fishing from the bank one time on St. George Island and watched as a boat pulled in and stated chucking shrimp at the bank, after about 30min. they gave up and moved on. I walked down to where they anchored and proceeded to catch my limit of specks on a white ice fluke and had an absolute blast.
Good luck and enjoy your trip. The best thing about fishing in salt water is you never know what may hook into!!!

Nauticman

Hard to beat a Gulp new penny shrimp on a red lead head.

+1 on pink flukes. I've caught my fair share of reds on big ol' spinner baits. Bigger is better, w/ big blades (gold!).

churly

Nauticman - 5/20/2019 1:50 PM

Hard to beat a Gulp new penny shrimp on a red lead head.

Ive caught a gazillion fish on those baits

finbully

Voodoo Shrimp in natural colors work too. There are new restrictions on the trout so be aware of that. Try putting a lead head (I use white most often) with a Gulp curly tail plastic under a clicker float like you would use with live shrimp for the trout too. Look for bare spots in the grass - they sit in the grass waiting to ambush anything that ventures out of the grass.

Also check out Florida Sportsman for the region you are going to fish:

https://forums.floridasportsman.com/

BenDiesel

Awesome guys, thanks for all of the responses!

Hoop235 that’s what’s exciting about this trip to me, not knowing what we might catch!

The Gulp! Shrimp on a jighead was going to be one of my picks to use, and spoons also. I’ll snag some flukes as well. Anyone have a particular lead head brand they prefer over another? From my reading, it looks like 1/8oz in shallows, 1/4 in deeper water; I just want to make sure the hooks are sturdy enough for saltwater/mouthy fish.

Finbully I’ll have to check out the new restrictions for sure then. Definitely don’t want any issues there.

BenDiesel

Glad you mentioned that rich; I’ve got some spoons on order but had forgotten to get the swivels. Thanks for the reminder!