Braid and Leaders

JoeFD

When fishing something like a jig with braid do y'all use floro leaders? i use it for all of the finesse stuff, and most of the time on heavier as well. I'm wondering if it is really needed if you are using like a green braid, given how dirty the water typically is...What are your thoughts?

I do not use a leader when fishing braid. Straight braid in gnarly conditions (heavy wood or grass). I use straight fluoro for lesser conditions - 12# for clear water and benign bottom/structure, 17 or 20# in stained water and rocky settings.

churly

I only use leaders for finesse fishing. if I am fishing a jig I usually have 20lb or heavier flouro that is about as strong as braid.

When using some walking topwaters I will tie a 18 inch or so mono leader to braid to keep the baits hooks from getting tangled in the braid. I just use the uni knot for that. I have flipped a few times with braid to floro leaders, but I always keep those leaders short enough that if flipping the knot does not go through the tip guide. I also use braid a good bit to throw a c-rig on and use either a mono or floro leader on that, mono helps the bait float a bit off the bottom, floro sinks it but I normally like the floro because you can feel it better.

Fshn Cpa

I only fish braid on a punch jig. loose too much feel on the regular jig. 20lb flouro for the regular jig.

RUNCL Fishing

YouTube has lots of videos showing how to tie the fluoro to braid, the most effective and frequently used way is the FG knot.

churly

ficht158 - 6/4/2019 7:36 AM

what is the best know to tie the floro to the braid?

The FG knot. You will never know it passed through your line guides. Also, you guys keep talking about these short leaders. You do realize that the shorter the leader, the more "shock" and pressure you are putting on your leader knot. Like I said earlier, I only use leaders on finesse baits with spinning rods, but I make my leaders at least 10ft usually more. If you perfect that FG knot, it wont cause any problems on your spool or passing through the guides.

FirstLight

churly - 6/6/2019 8:46 AM

ficht158 - 6/4/2019 7:36 AM

what is the best know to tie the floro to the braid?

The FG knot. You will never know it passed through your line guides. Also, you guys keep talking about these short leaders. You do realize that the shorter the leader, the more "shock" and pressure you are putting on your leader knot. Like I said earlier, I only use leaders on finesse baits with spinning rods, but I make my leaders at least 10ft usually more. If you perfect that FG knot, it wont cause any problems on your spool or passing through the guides.

Good point on length. I try to have my knot fall just below the guide closest to the reel so that I don't reel the knot onto the reel. I do not worry at all about it getting damaged passing through the line guides. I use a double uni for my line to line knots and have always liked it. Never tried the FG. I might give it a try.

jimwarden

I’ve been using the craziest setup. I don’t recommend anyone try it, because I still can’t believe it works so well. I have trouble tying those knots (Alberto, FG, etc.) in the boat, on the lake, in the wind with light braid. So, one day I just tied a loop knot on my fluorocarbon leader and a loop knot with a half hitch to keep the knot from sliding on my slick braid (Gliss or Smackdown). Then just passed the loop of fluoro through the loop of braid and put the tag end of the fluoro back through the loop of the fluoro and pulled the rest of the fluoro leader all the way through. Couldn’t believe how strong it is. Been using it for three years now. Biggest bass I’ve caught is only a 8.8lber. Hope to get a 10lber with it to really prove the strength of this crazy setup. I haven’t had a single fish break my line in three years. That includes some big-o cats and drum too. I use 20-30lb braid with 12-15lb fluoro when I’m fishing with the big bass baits like chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs, etc. Of course it’s not a small knot that passes easily through guides, so I usually have it anywhere from 18” to 3’ long. Since I’m using such a small amount of fluoro line these last few years I often use the more expensive ones, but they all work well. Red Label is still the best for the dollar.

My favorite drop-shot rod has very small diameter guides, so I’ve gone straight fluorocarbon with no braid on that rod. I fill the spinning reel 3/4 full with braid and then tie 30 yards of 8lb fluorocarbon line on to fish with. I change that 30 yards fairly often as you know how twisty and worn out it gets catching bass on the drop-shot.

Also use straight fluorocarbon on my casting reels 10lb, 12lb, 15lb Red Label or Invisx except for topwater baits I use a floating braid or mono line.

ByrdDawg

I think leader are your best bet when finesse fishing. You have to use a good knot Jimwarden knot may work just fine. Keep in mind they all the knots mentioned you are tying on the fluorocarbon to the braid. The point i am trying to make is that the braid will cut the fluorocarbon. It is the same concept with your hands being cut up by the braid it will cut your Fluorocarbon.

jimwarden

This is exactly why I thought this loop to loop connection wouldn’t work. I assumed the braid would cut right through the fluorocarbon line. It doesn’t. Maybe it’s the Gliss braid single strand line that I started tying this on first, but I’ve done the same now with Seaguar Smackdown braid. Both are very smooth noise free lines though. Don’t try it, but it sure saves me time retying when I get hung up and have to break off. Line always breaks below the loop to loop connection on the fluorocarbon line which is less pound strength than the braid above it. Weird.