Favorite topwater bait?

Other than sinking a cell phone is the bottom of the chick, it seemed like fish would push my black whopper plopped out of the way to hit something else this early am ??. Love the action and the ease of the whopper ploppers but have been disappointed in my results. My favorite is an apple of school area spook.

The plopper is like any new bait - takes a while to figger it out.

I am a hard core spook guy when it comes to top water. I'll fish it from low 50s to 80s/90s (if the water gets that hot). My latest thing is the buzz frog. Have thrown buzz baits but never the frog. I'm kinda diggin' the action, results.

I love topwater fishing as much as anything, and as a result I fish it a ton this time of the year. My favorite topwater for big fish is a bigger popper, something like a old hula popper or a river2sea bubble walker. The bubble walker you can pop or walk and it is the size of the old pop-r 70 and they cast great. But the problem with the poppers is they are kinda slow, even walking them takes much longer than a traditional walking bait.
Walking baits: Gunfish, Rover, Vixen, and Evergreen SB with those four you can cover most anything you need, I do like the Ima Skimmer or Ima Little Stick on herring lakes.
Poppers: Evergreen popper (best hooks in the world), River2Sea Bubble walker, and the old Hula Popper with good hooks if you are around bigger fish and it is flat calm, something about that big popper with the skirt just sitting there can catch your personal best on it.
The other one I like is a buzz bait with a toad. I use a 1/4 oz bait with the toad and seem to get more bites and the same size fish as will hit a bigger bait, the old lunker lures are hard to beat, but Nichols and Cavatron make good ones too.
I am not a huge fan of the Whopper Plopper, I get lots of bites on it, but my hookup ratio on it is way worse than on other topwater baits.
Of late I have been throwing an old bang-o-lure and having a little success on it, fishing it really slow around fallen trees in the water. Just pop it a few times, then let it sit, then pop it a couple of times get that prop to turn and then let it sit again, seems to still work, have not caught any big ones on it though.

JoeFD

I've caught more fish on the Chug Bug than any other topwater. Whopper Plopper is great. Berkley Choppo is a good WP alternative when you can't find them. Spit'n image cleans them up too!

alicia ayers

Caught some big girls on the whopper plopper , but right now my go to top water is the magnum fluke rigged weightless caught an 11 lber on it yesterday can see my pics posted yesterday Its been a killer bait for me caught a 10 lber with it couple years back and pics of her in my photo album It justs kinda settles in top of the grass and they will nail it > Lift it a bit and move it and let settle down a bit .Works for me !!