Battery for electronics

Ok so I recently added a Lowrance HDS 8 to my boat. Now I have the 8 and a 9 touch and an HDS 5 I run. Last night I was out for about 3 hours. Went to start the engine and nothing. Noticed the stern light was VERY dim. I did notice the 8 started cutting off and on after being out for about 2 hours so I did shut it off. My question is should I just get a battery solely for my Lowrance units? I will say the battery they are connected to is the cranking battery and its 2 yrs old. I am charging it now and going to get it load tested shortly. I do have a volt meter on my boat and am putting out a good 12.5-13.5 volts. Just looking for thoughts. I did realize that I had my touch 9 unit set to maximum brightness and the same with the 5.. I know running them like that does use more power so that wont happen again. Just looking for some thoughts from my fellow anglers!

Pop-R

I had a similar issue my were cutting off when I would crank the motor. It always cranked fine, but cut off the electronics. turned out to be a weak cell in the battery.

I am getting the battery load tested later today. Its a Duracell 24M with 800CCA and a max of 1000Amps. Like I said it is 2 yrs old.

finbully

bluewingjb - 6/5/2019 8:19 AM

I am getting the battery load tested later today. Its a Duracell 24M with 800CCA and a max of 1000Amps. Like I said it is 2 yrs old.

Those usually last 1 to 2 years.

I think I am going with an AGM 31 for it.. Found one that has 1150CCA and 220 minutes of reserve and comes with a 4 yr no questions asked warranty.. Its a little pricey but has all 5 star reviews

Yeah I am moving up too. It will be a little work to get the bigger battery in but it will fit. Heck I already have a bigger one in there now as I used one of my 31 s for the troll motor over to get the engine started

elwestb

derek81 - 6/5/2019 1:55 PM

Get a group 31 NorthStar and be done

Absolutely, what Derek said! That thing is the Mac Daddy of batteries! Pricy and heavier than most batteries but has a five year warranty and you just cannot run it down! I've ran live wells, night lights, three HB 10 in. units all night long and fished again the next day without charging. It doesn't flinch.

elwestb

pinsandfins - 6/6/2019 1:05 PM

Derek, did you get the marine one with 4 terminals or just the regular group 31 with 2 terminals?

I don't know about Derek but I didn't see any with 4 terminals? I got mine at Batteries Plus on Gunbarrel Rd. It has 2 terminals with a 5 year warranty. I know two other guys that have bought the same battery and they also agree that it is a monster.

bronzeback45

Make sure you have a on board charger of at least 20 amps or more on agms, and plug in after each use.

Oh I have the charger and ended up getting a x2 group 31 AGM battery from batteriesplus... Its got 220 minutes of reserve power and 1150 CCA and has a 4 yr no questions asked full replacement warranty