Boat Transom ?

fischnrod

How do you guys check out a transom on a used boat for water damage or weakness

lafae7

One of the best ways is to drive it. The steering of the boat will tell you if the transom is going bad. However, if it’s literally falling apart then don’t do that for safety.

BulletTJ

Trim the motor down. Grab the plate on the top of the lower unit and shake the crap out of it. Have someone you trust watch the transom for flexing. If it moves, run don't walk away from that boat.

jbh3

Oldman - 6/15/2019 1:13 PM

you thump it like a Mellon.

^^^Use the handle of a big screw driver.
Also, with the engine trimmed all the way up, rock the engine up, down and side ways. Rock as HARD as you can and look for flexing in the transom. Look for the appearance of dirty looking drainage from any holes in the transom - i.e. motor/jack plate mounting, transducers, transom drains at the splash well.

Lx545

And check it before you get on the water. Had cash in hand for a boat and the guy had it in the water when I met him at wolftever. Went hammering down the lake about 60mph looked back and I swear I don't see how the motor didn't fall off. Politely asked to go back to ramp and look out of the water. Pulled up on foot of the motor and the guy says you know what you are looking for don't you.. suddenly the asking price became "the motor alone is worth what I'm asking".