Fishing below the Dam

Aredee

This is probably a noob question. I'm a kayak fisherman, but I'm looking at getting a Pontoon boat to take the family out. Is it safe to fish below the dam in pontoon boat?
Thanks

rsimms

Aredee - 8/27/2019 10:12 AM

This is probably a noob question. I'm a kayak fisherman, but I'm looking at getting a Pontoon boat to take the family out. Is it safe to fish below the dam in pontoon boat?
Thanks

For the most part, yes. If you ever want to approach Dam, above Railroad Bridge... use caution (as the massive signs indicate). You should know how to operate in a heavy current situation. And ALWAYS avoid the area circled in read. That's the only area with rocks that can damage a lower unit. Of course depth varies based on generation schedules, but until you're more familiar with it your just best off avoiding that area entirely. Otherwise water depths are OK for virtually any boat.

Attachments

• dam.jpg
    dam.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 265

Gator

Aredee, you just got advise from a guide that knows that area better than anyone I know. If you follow his advise you’ll be fine.

Gator - 8/27/2019 8:57 PM Aredee, you just got advise from a guide that knows that area better than anyone I know. If you follow his advise you’ll be fine.
</p>

Ditto on RSimms.
</p>

Let me add that the lower portion of the ramp behind Chattanooga State can be slicker than ice with algae growth. Beware of fall risk.</p>

Tennfisher
</p>