PARKSVILLE North shore

Can anyone tell me what depth of water and structure there is in the Old Ramp area on the north shore along hwy. 64 ? I believe there is a shallow mud flat uplake from the two ramps, so would want to steer clear of that. I'd appreciate any help with info about that area, as well as fishing reports. Not surprisingly, I can't find any underwater maps of Parksville. Thank You.

To Bullshot - Thanks for the reply. I went to the forum you recommended and contacted a fellow about the map. Do you or anyone else fish the Old Ramp area ? I am curious as to whether there is any significant deep water next to that mud flat and what might be the depth of the thermocline. I am limited to fishing within 1/4 or 1/3 of a mile of the ramp. I am happy to catch panfish or spotted bass and wonder if there are decent prospects around there at this time of the year. JG

G

down below the second ramp it starts to drop off and it wil eventally get to 60 plus feet deep.from the north ramp and above is a big mud flat up river to where the river runs in.there are some pretty good
fising in thaat area early of the morning.Good luck and come back and report on how you did.

Aries 181

My Lakemaster V4 shows the lake on the list, is it pretty accurate for depth? I'll get my wife to print off the map and try and go later this week.

Bill

Lx545

I haven't had any issues with lakemaster on parksville. When it says trees on the map,even if its deep water be very careful. Ran on top of some graphing and scared me to death.

bullshot

jaygivens70 - 9/2/2019 1:43 AM
.....I am curious as to whether there is any significant deep water next to that mud flat and what might be the depth of the thermocline. I am limited to fishing within 1/4 or 1/3 of a mile of the ramp. ......

Why are you limited? Kayak/Canoe??? might consider fishing in the Greasy Creek arm.

I am not aware of any significant deep water off the copper mining tailings/silt/mud flat. I don't think that area develops a thermocline, as upstream generation keeps it mixed and is fairly cool (low 70's). Further down lake, thermocline is around 22-24 feet deep.

Hello Bullshot, B-Tracker, Aries181 and LX545 - thanks for the responses. I am under paddle power with a kayak, so that is the limiting factor. I use an eagle depth finder to search offshore areas. I try to avoid wind and it appears that the area around the two ramps should be shielded from the North, NW and south wind. I have fished in Greasy Creek and have talked to the USFS about re-opening the ramp which is in the campground. Of course they won't do it, but if about 100 of us showed up at their office, they might raise an eyebrow and reconsider. I also was informed that the road back to Ocoee #3 is slated for resurfacing, but I will believe that when I see it. Has anyone been back there lately ? I haven't been, but last time the road was nearly impassable.

I don't know when the ramp was closed, but it is now on the other side of a locked gate in the campground. Parksville Lake needs more access, not less. It now is a political issue... A numbers game. The right people (elected officials) can make a difference, or numbers of people can, by making their intentions known. It seems ridiculous to have an access to the Greasy Creek embayment which nobody can use.

Aries 181

My wife printed me off a copy of the map, west end only for some reason and I had it laminated at staples for $5.57

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 227

bullshot

Canoe/kayak launch for greasy creek at southeast corner of bridge (pullout). Greasy Creek campground closed due to pine beetles and too many dead trees. Ramp was closed before then though.

bullshot

bullshot - 9/5/2019 9:45 PM

Canoe/kayak launch for greasy creek at southeast corner of bridge (pullout). Greasy Creek campground closed due to pine beetles and too many dead trees. Ramp was closed before then though.
. You can use the same launch to access Slyco creek arm (stay to the east to you cross over the river).

Thanks, Bullshot. I've tried launching next to the bridge, but the lower ramp/old ramp enables me to back right up to the waters edge and not drag my gear over a bunch of rocks, or get stuck in rutted gravel. I am hoping there would be 20 or more feet of water within 300 yards downlake of the lower ramp. Would you say yes to that...or no ? JG

Lx545

Didn't really follow where you are talking about but here are two lakemaster shots.

Attachments

• 88201910164.jpg
    88201910164.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 88201910177.jpg
    88201910177.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 258
To Lx 545: Thank You very much. That is what I've been looking for. I'm not familiar with Lakemaster...at least, not yet. Hopefully, in the very near future I will try out that area around the two ramps. I am in Georgia at present but fish quite a bit in TN. Yesterday I fished on the Carters re-regulation lake and did OK. If anyone wants some tips on fishing that reservoir let me know. It's good on the weekends with stable water levels, below-average water temperatures and not much boat traffic. The water can get very low making launch of a full-size boat difficult to impossible.

Aries 181

I read that tva hasn't dropped the lake in the fall for the last few years due to copper mining run off and I hope that will continue this year.

Bill