To VRO or not to VRO

duckhunter4hire

I have a 91 Stratos with a 200 on it. Boat is near as new of a 28 year old boat as is out there. I have had the vro replaced once, and think it's out again. Will idle but loads up and dies trying to get on pad. I like not having to measure and add oil since the fuel fillers are in my opinion are more than hard to get oil in to tanks and then having to figure out how much fuel and oil I'm adding. BUTTT all that said what is yall's opinion on this??? Thanks in advance.

VolsFan24

I mixed my gas and oil on 1 boat and had oil tank on other 3. I 100% prefer the oil tank over mixing gas. Yes it is another thing that can fail and blow a motor, but it was engineered to use an oil tank so I believe in using the oil tank. That’s just my $.02

dtw2

you can disable the oil side of the vro

silvertalon

You can hook up a fuel pressure gauge between the VRO and the plastic fuel rail and see if you get at least 3-5 PSI at high idle. If 3-5 PSI, the VRO is ok. You can even do this running it on a hose at home. There's also a volume test for the oil output using a marked off clear hose. VRO's are super expensive now. About $600! There are rebuild kits tho that cost mush less. Premixing is undesirable and possible to forget to add oil.