Oct. 5/6 Classic BF and 6th pl.

silvertalon

Practice- Fished new stuff on Tue/Wed only to catch 1 keeper and a short Brownie. Went to my usual shallow stuff on Thu and banged a small limit around 11#. I thought- "I'll be ok doing this"

Sat- Cold front with a north wind and high baro blows in overnight. That's never good- 1st stop- A directional spot. That means, the only way I've ever gotten bit off this spot is to line up with my waypoint and a shoreline marker, pole down and work the offshore spot from about 25 yds out. It is about the size of my boat in 5 FOW. Caught 3 on a CR Senko that were about 1/4" short. Picked up a Trap and started burning it. Hit a brushpile and had to go in for it and spook my fish. Dang! Sometimes if they're not biting well, the fish are spread out and you can work a nearby grass flat that is usually good for a nice fish or 2- Bam, nice keeper around 2.5 + up to the boat that pulls off. Dang! This is Not a good start. At this time the wind blows me by my directional spot but on the other side of it. I've never gotten bit fishing it this way but I made a huge 40 yd cast with my trap telling myself "no way I'll get bit after spooking any possible holding fish outta there ". A few cranks and my trap just stops. Thought I had the same dang brushpile but i held onto the bow in my rod and it started throbbing. Thought for sure I had a big Flathead as the fish didn't jump until I got it up near the boat. It was a dramatic landing as my 1 st attempt with the net failed when she slipped out and I saw she was barely hooked. Next attempt I got her head and gill plate up over the rim of the net and phew, my trap fly's outta her mouth at the same time I made the lunge outward. Got her! It was incredible timing! Huge fish. I haven't caught a fish this big in such a long time I thought I had a PB all day (over 8), until I got her to the scale- 7.15. A trap and a spinnerbait got fish 2 and 3 outta some stick ups and brush after noon time, but just couldn't nail fish 4 and 5. My 3 fish went 12.29.
Sunday- It was the usual Nick-a-crap for me. Started out fishing a Fluke for some nice fish feeding on a weedline and caught a 3# right outta the gate but as soon as it got light, they stopped. Ran down and found weedline fish in Cave Lake but they'd just swat at top water baits. I think a lot of those fish were gar. Caught a few shorts but could'nt hook up on anything legal. Went back where I started and nailed one on a spinnerbait. 2 fish for the day at 4.65.

Finished in 6th with 5 fish at 16+. Had fun. Congrats to the money winners and a big TY to everyone.

danrnsmyth

Good read...you must have long arms and a big net, I am about 2 out of 15 on getting the fish netted when that happens. The worst was about a eight lb fish I had hooked on a big Poe's cedar crankbait back in those days and the front treble came loose and hung in the net and she thrashed until the back treble tore out on a blue bird day in a tournament on Lake Russell Ga back before the spots took over...congrats sounds like you were one good bite away.

Nauticman

Great report, Glenn, thanks for the comprehensive report, you made a good showing in the classic!