Two Thumbs Up for ease/strength of GT knot fluoro/braid connection

jimwarden

For a braid to fluorocarbon or monofilament line connection I’m using a stupid knot I thought of myself that consists of two loops of line linked together. It never breaks, is easy & fast to tie, but it is a sight! I have struggled tying the Alberto and the FG knot. Especially in the field with wind blowing, low light, etc. So, I recently clicked on a YouTube video claiming the GT knot was the strongest/easiest knot. It does seem easy to tie at home at least. We will see how it goes on the water. Does seem extremely strong as well and compact. Here’s the video if anyone is interested in the GT knot:

https://youtu.be/TASzTlhfouY

VolsFan24

I used to do uni to uni, but after MANY backlashes because the knot gets caught in one of the smaller guides, I decides to try another a few weeks ago. I tried them at home and the Alberto just came easy to me. Not as easy as uni to uni, but thats the knot I have used for over 20 years. Goes back to my saltwater days. I had tried it before and don’t remember it being that easy to tie. But I have done it 3 times on the water now and I really like it. 7 turns up, 7 turns back. Stick it through and pull. I have a hard time seeing that knot slip, and its real small and clean. So it goes through the guides better than my uni to uni. I gotta try out that GT knot. Thanks for sharing. I’ve been thinking about going all braid and just tying different leaders. I haven’t gone to that because of my knots and the guides.

jimwarden

Agree the Alberto is a great knot, but my experience with tying it on the water is a FAIL.

I would love to hear what you guys think of the GT knot. Both how easy and how well it works for you.

I started using the slick braided lines about three years ago to get extremely long casts on spinning rods this time of year, and I love it. Great distance, great sensitivity, and then I just use a short 2 to 3 foot leader. No more spooling fluorocarbon with line twists. Braided line lasts years. I still do use all fluorocarbon on drop shot rod, but usually making shorter casts with that technique.