Two Rivers at Ocoee and Hiwassee confluence..

Tight_Lines

Is anyone familiar with the stretch of the Hiwassee river from Hwy 411 down to the Confluence where the Ocoee comes in and or on the lower Ocoee up unto where it meets up with the Hiwassee?? i am gonna take a trip up there this weekend and check it out. i assuming there are trout in this section but was wondering what other fish we would find?? i also have heard that there are some nice walleye in there as well. either going to be shore fishing or doing a Kayak float. any help would be really awesome!!! thanks in advance!!
good fishing to all!!
Tight-Lines

fisherpal2k

Theres a lot of area to cover between there. Most is private land with little to no access for bank fishing. There is trout, a few bass and crappie and sometimes the stripes are in there in the spring run. Have caught a few sauger down around the ocoee right before it runs into the hiwassee. Best of luck and most of all if on the water wear the life jacket. Bad time on the river and it this cold.

Tight_Lines

The lower Hiwassee Float was really awesome and beautiful! water was pretty swift. it's an 8.5 mile float and with one generator we completed it in About 5.5 hrs. very few pull offs. threw just about everything in our tackle and only one spot was caught. my friend was the lucky one.. oh well. still great to get out on the water!!! good fishing to all!!

digitalcb

I always had a length of heavy chain on a rope to use as a drag anchor to slow my canoe down.</p>

Used to have a bunch of old cast iron window counterweights I strung together too.
</p>

Set it up so the rope is easy to release or cut. Too dangerous to use an anchor that will stop you.</p>

Always had best luck with 4" Rapala's and brass #2 Hildebrand with a Tellico nymph.
</p>

</p>

Tight_Lines

Digitalcb,
I installed a anchor trolley on my yak a year ago and am thinking about getting one of those anchor drift socks to keep me true and slow me down. wont have to worry about snags on the bottom. ( HOPEFULLY!!) we threw small crawdad cranks, rainbow trout rapalas, flutter spoons, foley spoons, a few bobby garlands, some other plastics, panther martins... just about everything. oh well still better than staying home!!

bullshot

drift sock won't help. Your boat and sock will be moving at the same speed. Where a drift sock shines is drifting on the lake. The sock "anchors" the boat, while the wind is trying to push the boat.

digitalcb

<font size="2">I always fished a canoe so your situation is a lot more complicated.</font></p>

Youtube:<font size="3"> <font size="2">Don't Make this Anchor Trolley Mistake Kayak Fishing</font></font></p>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2brpGvhHhk</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

digitalcb

True story: Fishing Little T in the very early 70's before they damned it with my stepsister in a 14' flat bottom with a 7-1/2 hp Scott-Atwater.
She said she was hung up again. She was, on a 4 pound Rainbow:)

Tight_Lines

Bullshot: yep true forgot about that factor that everything drifts at the same speed LOL! oh well...

DigitalCB,
I like the video but have wondered what happens when a fish DOES wrap around your anchor line?? bad news...
ALSO if you release your anchor line COMPLETELY... no. 1 how are you supposed to get back up stream to get it.. No. 2 then you have to remember where you dropped it No. 3 your anchor is on the bottom! i guess hopefully you rope floats??? oh and BTW I would LOVE to tangle with a 4 lb rainbow or also was mentioned some walleye!!
good fishing to all!!

digitalcb

Tight_Lines - 11/20/2019 7:48 AM Bullshot: yep true forgot about that factor that everything drifts at the same speed LOL! oh well... DigitalCB, I like the video but have wondered what happens when a fish DOES wrap around your anchor line?? bad news... ALSO if you release your anchor line COMPLETELY... no. 1 how are you supposed to get back up stream to get it.. No. 2 then you have to remember where you dropped it No. 3 your anchor is on the bottom! i guess hopefully you rope floats??? oh and BTW I would LOVE to tangle with a 4 lb rainbow or also was mentioned some walleye!! good fishing to all!!
</p>

I always used disposable, as I called it "drag anchor" material, chains, counterweights etc. I'm talking 50 years ago!
</p>

Cut your loses and live to fish another day.
</p>

porthos33

My buddy has caught some absolute monster stripers up through there in sit on top kayaks throwing huge rapala style wake baits when they are making their run.