Who repairs trim motors?

The motor is on a 1991 Mercury xr4 150 Blackmax. It’s a 3 wire motor and part # 99186. The only time it will work is if you tap it with a rubber mallet. A new one from Mercury is out of my price range and I’m trying to get back on the water soon. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

flyman

Chattanooga marine or silver talon here on the forum both do great work

MJonesin

Have you tried detaching the motor and and then hitting the switch to see if the motor works ok? I'm no expert by any means but spent the last few weeks getting mine to work. Guy I got it from didnt seat it right and opened up the valve/pump assembly, DONT TOUCH THAT part, had to buy a new one, seat it correctly and got it working. But, if you take the motor off and can hit the switch and see it run then the motor may be fine and your problem is else where. If the motor doesnt run or intermittently spins, then it may just need to be cleaned. Again, I'm no expert but if I can help save you some time and frustration that I went through, glad to do it

I took it apart and it was full of water and rusted up pretty bad. I found one online for $300 so I ordered it yesterday. Mercury was wanting $1100. I’ll be back on the water soon!