Gill nets in the park

drdetroit

Some fellow had three sets of gill nets spread in front of the island across from the ramp. Almost ran over one until I saw some bass floating in the nets. Legal or illegal?</p>

dr Detroit</p>

G

They are supposed to be checked every 24 hours that is what TWRA told me. I would contact them cause if they are fish floating dead they have not been check.

drdetroit

They were marked with orange floats! No name and difficult to judge the pattern to avoid them. There was a fellow harvesting them don’t know how long they were out?One bass look dead. I just don’t believe that was a good spot to place them heavy boat traffic!</p>

Dr Detroit</p>

rsimms

Normally commercial fishermen will be out there EARLY (at or before first light) checking and pulling nets, especially in high traffic areas. Those nets are not cheap and they don't want folks running into them, potentially destroying them any more than you want to hit them.

wjhfish

This topic comes up EVERY YEAR. Everybody I know except for about 3 people have a cell phone that is capable of taking pictures and videos. Why not stop and take a pic of the buoy with the persons name and the direction the nets are running? Ask your local TWRA officer if it is legal or not. I personally would like to see the pictures and know what the TWRA officer had to say.

G

I am trying to get pics to load they say they are to large