What we gonna do

muskyman

I lived in Illinois and attempted to fish the mississippi and the illinois river at times. Depending upon where you would launch, the asian carp have pretty much pushed out all viable species. The sheer numbers they represent takes up the entire water column. And if you are running fast in the boat, you gotta have a dual console, or someone is gonna get hurt. Put all your rods in the rod lockers or bazooka tubes when not in use. They jump in the boat and destroy your stuff. Imagine a 20lb carp, jumping in your boat on your Loomis GLX and just snapping it like celery. I have seen this firsthand. I hope we do not see them take a foothold.

churly

same thing everyone did about the grass spraying. not a damn thing, except complain on social media

Smalliefan2

Let Lamar know, so the feds appropriate the $$$$$$$$$ he asked for to limit the damage. The efforts on Ky lake are showing some positive results.

So what kid of efforts and success have occurred on Ky Lake ? There needs to be research into a biological/chemical solution to wipe out those disgusting carp. Such an effort was made in the Great Lakes to get rid of the sea lampreys which attached themselves to the fish. In addition, the localized extinction of sauger needs to be addressed and figured out. Stocking walleye is not a solution, only a bandaid on a bullet wound. There seems to be a lack of intellectual curiosity re: these problems in the agencies who should be dealing with them. Has anyone else noticed ?

jaygivens70 - 1/19/2020 1:51 PM

So what kid of efforts and success have occurred on Ky Lake ? There needs to be research into a biological/chemical solution to wipe out those disgusting carp. Such an effort was made in the Great Lakes to get rid of the sea lampreys which attached themselves to the fish. In addition, the localized extinction of sauger needs to be addressed and figured out. Stocking walleye is not a solution, only a bandaid on a bullet wound. There seems to be a lack of intellectual curiosity re: these problems in the agencies who should be dealing with them. Has anyone else noticed ?

Yes we’ve always noticed a lack of action. It is the govt after all

rsimms

Encourage commercial fishermen. I know that goes against the grain of almost everyone on here, but when/if a lake becomes overrun with Asian carp, commercial fishermen are without question the best way to try and keep them in check. On Kentucky Lake TWRA is doing all it can to aid commercial fishermen in targeting Asian carp.

Until McDonalds starts selling carp sandwiches instead of whatever they are using now, the demand won't begin to equal the supply. Why not electro-fish or net the carp, load 'em in dump trucks, spread 'em on fields, and then use 'em for fertilizer ?

WaterChap

I hear that the state is trying to promote a supply pipeline for the carp so that fishermen can easily turn them in for a little bit of cash and they would largely go into pet food.

Out west there is a bounty paid to anglers who catch a certain kind of fish which eats the salmon trying to get through the dams. There is plenty of public money available in spite of claims of "budgetary constraints", but there needs to be a war on those carp ! Sooner or later fisheries scientists will HOPEFULLY come up with a biological or chemical control to eliminate these pests. Other methods will only thin out the population and we will never get rid of them.