Yet another battery discussion

camaro88z

Ok so I have agm group 31 battery to power my solix 10, onix 10, 997, helix 5, all pumps and start the johnson 200. It has done ok. But regulator fired on motor. Appears to be new. Very clean label and all. It is cdi name brand. So I called them they said I should not be running a agm battery. That is what messed it up. They said I shouldn't run any maintenance free batteries with it. So now I am trying to decide since the agm battery isn't good for it should u run a deep cycle to have enough power and not get drained. But fear after ran a while when I start my motor it will shut the finders down. Or a starting for the instant power of starting the motor. But fear it will not take the demands of the finders. Dual purpose sounds like the best choice. But idk how well it would work in this situation. Really don't want to run a 4th battery. My on board charger is only for 3. I would have to mount charger on access cover for all the hoses. So what is everyone that care to comment on this or has ran into this before thoughts.

lafae7

Not sure if you’re joking or not but AGM batteries are fantastic. Sounds like whoever you talked to at CDI misunderstood something. Rectifiers just go bad sometimes. You most likely have something grounded out and the constant draw burnt it up over time. It's impossible to tell just by looking at it if it’s bad. You’ll need a good volt meter to test it. Have you installed any new electronics recently?

camaro88z

No I am not joking. Cdi tech is who told me that. If you look online it say it as well. Idk why exactly but that is what they claim. It is a johnson 200 looper. From what I have researched there is not a good test for regulator. My voltage started going very high while running. When wot voltage I seen jumped to 18.2 volts. Tach was acting very crazy. Jump around work sometimes nothing at others. Not voltage draw that kills battery while it sats in shop when not in use. I thought the same thing about the battery. But for my particular engine they say not to run any maintenance free batteries. Only flooded batteries. The motor is a 1991 johnson 200 limited edition. But yes everything in the boat has been recently done. Seems to me if I had a short it would kill battery while not in use.

jbh3

Not familiar with OMC's, but some early Mercury's with a stator based charging system do not recommend using deep cycle/dual purpose AGM type batteries. If you decide to change out your AGM, NAPA has a big group 31 wet cell that gets good reviews over on the Merc forum at BBC.

camaro88z

Ty jbh3. I think napa batteries are made by deka. So they should be great batteries. I am sure that would be a good option and the route I may go.

I'm one of the dinosaurs. I still use wet cell batts exclusively (primarily because I can get a new one anywhere, any time). I use a single group 31 batt to crank the big motor, run my electronix, and all of the live well stuff during TX days. No issues. I do keep one of those portable jump start units on board, just in case.

To your point, I've heard nothing but rave reviews on the performance of AGM batts. Have not heard of an issue like yours. I'd be inclined to do a complete wiring check before swapping out batts.

camaro88z

Idk if it will show up good enough after the resize. But straight from cdi.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201106-233157_Drive_copy_360x780.jpg
    Screenshot_20201106-233157_Drive_copy_360x780.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 208