Missing

WaterChap

Yep. Freezing cold in a canoe. Don’t know if the missing woman was wearing a life jacket.

finbully

Sad for the family of the missing person. I can't help to wonder the thought process of having three people in an obvious two person canoe especially during winter water temperatures.

WaterChap

Apparently the body of the woman has been found. Very sad for the family. There were no life jackets in the canoe. Water temps around 47. If you hit the water in that temp, you’ll lose dexterity in 5 minutes, consciousness in 1-3 hours.

Spinnerbait165

WaterChap - 1/18/2021 8:17 AM

Apparently the body of the woman has been found. Very sad for the family. There were no life jackets in the canoe. Water temps around 47. If you hit the water in that temp, you’ll lose dexterity in 5 minutes, consciousness in 1-3 hours.

I had the unfortunate experience of going in the water many years ago into water at least that cold. If I had been alone I would have died. I lost dexterity in probably less than a minute, and the initial shock is debilitating. My fishing partner saved my life that day. And for the record .... I <u>DID</u> have on a life jacket. But that is no help when your muscles quit working.  Just another reason to not go on the water alone in cold weather ... no matter what you are wearing or your swimming capabilities.

We can't go through life being scared, but we CAN go through life with common sense and caution when pushing the envelope a little.

wjhfish

Spinnerbait165 - 1/16/2021 6:30 PM

fischnrod - 1/16/2021 5:18 PM

WHY, JUST WHY----------

The boaters were not wearing life jackets.

Like the great philosopher Ron White says ........ "You can't fix stupid".

Spinnerbait165 That is a shitty thing to say when someone lost their life. You blast them and call them stupid and later talk about how a life jacket or swimming ability would not have helped due to you falling in and experiencing cold water for yourself.

Spinnerbait165

wjhfish - 1/18/2021 12:53 PM

Spinnerbait165 That is a shitty thing to say when someone lost their life. You blast them and call them stupid and later talk about how a life jacket or swimming ability would not have helped due to you falling in and experiencing cold water for yourself.

I disagree ...... the truth is the truth. And my experience wasn't in a stinking canoe! If my posts offend you or don't live up to your standards then please refrain from reading them. Although I'm certain that you've never said anything that could be construed as "shitty" .......... emoPoke

This incident is no different from a negligent gunshot, driving without a seat belt, carelessly operating power equipment, or driving drunk. Any death from other than natural causes is a shame. But when people live carelessly it happens.

Some get away with it, and some don't.

WaterChap

The initial shock of hitting the water is pretty concerning to me. If it’s really cold, I’ll wear a life jacket even with a partner. I know it’s possible to slip under quickly. I try to think through the habits I need to cultivate should something go wrong: life jackets, kill switch, using the manual setting on the trolling motor if alone (in case I fall off). You don’t need to pay attention to all that stuff, until you do. And yes, it’s totally possible to drown with a life jacket - especially if you’re alone.

finbully

Spinnerbait165 - 1/18/2021 3:56 PM

wjhfish - 1/18/2021 12:53 PM

I disagree ...... the truth is the truth. And my experience wasn't in a stinking canoe! If my posts offend you or don't live up to your standards then please refrain from reading them. Although I'm certain that you've never said anything that could be construed as "shitty" .......... emoPoke

This incident is no different from a negligent gunshot, driving without a seat belt, carelessly operating power equipment, or driving drunk. Any death from other than natural causes is a shame. But when people live carelessly it happens.

Some get away with it, and some don't.

Yep I disagree with wjhfish too. Three people, two person canoe, no life jackets, winter water temperature. Connect the dots wjhfish!

silverbullet

I think all of y'all need say nothing it was an accident y'all need to just pray for this family and quit b________ ing about what everyone thinks

finbully

silverbullet - 1/21/2021 1:31 PM

I think all of y'all need say nothing it was an accident y'all need to just pray for this family and quit b________ ing about what everyone thinks

It's called free speech, you're not forced to read it.