Rod locker gas struts

Pop-R

I am having issues. I have a 94 model. So, it could be the fiberglass is just old. What is happening is they will work fine for a while and just rip out the fiberglass. I have tried adding epoxy to the back of the adapters along with the screws and it still does it. I put it to a new spot each time. I even tried thicker screws. I don't know if there is anything like you put in drywall for strength. Maybe, like the plastic pegs. I don't really want to go all the way through but am about to that point. Just wanted to check first. I did even drop all the way down to 10 lb. struts on the big lids incase it was too much pressure and it still did it. Any ideas?

Pop-R

That is a good idea. I will try to add a piece or a metal plate with fiberglass risen to thicken it and predrill using plastic screw insert. Thanks for the feedback.

danrnsmyth

THat would work, I redid an old 96 391 ranger and had a similar issue on one side. I took a square of 1/4 inch aluminum bar and roughed it up and epoxied it to the lid.... and then where the strut fastened to the lip of the rod locker I used two small stainless bolts to bolt a small length of aluminum angle to the lip and expoxied it as well,the epoxy helped it to fit the aluminum angle to the lip underneath and hopefully sealed it as well

danrnsmyth

NO problem, that may be a bit of overkill which I am known for but after having the lid break a falcon trap caster rod I was fond of I wanted a permanent fix , i put the small stainless screws in from the outside of the groove in the rod locker and just drilled thru the angle and have the nuts on the inside of the rod box away from the seal. I put enough epoxy on the inside on the angle i fastened to the bottom lip (clamped it) let it set up some before drilling the holes to put the screws thru