Ohio Deer Hunting

Rob Lee

Plan on hunting new lease in Ohio. Only "straight walled cartridges" permitted in rifle. Anyone got any experience with this type of rifle? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Justfishin

There is a long list of straight wall cartridges. I hunted Ohio for a while mostly bow hunting for me. I use my 444 marlin a couple times when I didn’t fill my tag with a bow. Most common that I know are 444 cal and 4570. You can also use a shotgun or muzzleloader

Rob Lee

I plan on archery hunting. Gun season starts after the peak of rut (by design) in Ohio. 2020 gun season opened November 30th. I have a 12 gauge semi-auto slug gun but would much rather use a .350 Legend or a .450 Bushmaster. Leaning toward the former. Thanks to all for your response.

crankin&yankin

I hunt Ohio every year. 350 legend. Good to 200 yards. Good for hunting back home. My son who is 11 handles the rifle good and shoots deer with it. Kicks like a 243. Flat rifle and fast for a straight wall.

churly

I bought my .350 legend just for hunting ohio. Its nothing special, but much more accurate that a shotgun or muzzleloader. outside of that you have the 30/30, .450 bushmaster, .45-70. I will say the .350 is very light on the recoil side and mine shoots sub moa out to 200 yards shooting 150 grain XPs. When I bought mine I figured it would be the least used firearm in the safe so I bought the cheapest I could find-Mossberg Patriot Bantam ( its a youth model) It was like $300. My daughters still prefer their .243s but they do like the .350

dhpro

Been hunting Illinois now for 30 years bow and gun, this past season they allow some straight wall cartridges, I personally feel that my slug guns are just as deadly. I’ve got a browning a bolt 12 that with rem accu bond slug s is a 175 yard bang flop all day. Have a Savage 220 it’s a 150 yard gun all day same slug. If you have a 12 that has a rifle barrel on it . Put a good scope on it and it’s just as deadly . Just my personal opinion and thoughts